Sunday 8 July 2012

Amelia Lily - You Bring Me Joy

Ever since she sang her (vastly superior) rendition of E.T. during the judges' houses level of last year's X Factor, Amelia Lily Oliver was my favourite to win. Quirkily stylish, effortlessly cool and consistently grateful for the opportunity she was getting, it seemed like a complete no brainer to me that Amelia Lily would breeze through to the live shows and beat off other less interesting competitors week by week, until she was eventually crowned winner and beloved by all.  But, much like she did with her own solo career, Kelly Rowland managed to royally fuck things up by sending Amelia Lily home in the first week (not before she cut and dyed her hair pink though.  Smooth move K-Row).  


Weeks went by and I was still mourning the loss of Strawberry Shortcake , until the musical gods sent me two blessings at once - Frankie Cocozza was gone and in his place, Amelia Lily would return to the competition.  Yes, she may have finished third but it was more than enough to grant her a record deal and a much more memorable finishing position than last.

Now here we are, and Amelia is the last of last year's alumni to release her debut single (well, she's the last one I care about anyway).  'You Bring Me Joy' was one of my most anticipated single releases of the year and when I first heard it today I was... so disappointed. "Where's the energy? Where's her personality? WHERE'S THE MIDDLE 8?!" I asked myself as I opted to watch this again and cry into my keyboard.  And yet, I kept going back to the song.  I assumed it was because I wanted to force myself to love it, to love her debut single as much as I loved her on the show.  As it turns out, I was going back to it for a much more simple reason - the song is pretty fucking ace.  


That chorus is one of Xenomania's catchiest of late and the restrained vocals aren't a sign that the song is boring (as I initially thought), rather they are a way of showing that she's perfectly capable of making an impressive song without hitting every note possible.  This song really does get better with every listen (it should also be listened to at a very loud volume. I've never really understood a song sounding better the louder it is until now) and is a far more intriguing direction for Amelia to go in than the Kelly Clarkson/P!nk sound, which was something I feared might happen.  

This album is going to be so perfect, I can feel it in my bones. I really, really hope she gets chart success, not just because I like her so much (which I do) but I also think it'd be pretty hilarious if the girl who they kicked off far too soon ended up being this series' main success story.


Now if she could do a nice acoustic cover version of E.T. as a bonus track for her debut album, I can die happy.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment